Fall is the perfect time to rock the ash hair color look. Here’s what you need to know to get started.
With fall now well and truly here, it’s time to think about how to upgrade your look for the season. Changing up your hair color is the perfect way to give your whole look a lift. Who doesn’t feel better about themselves and the world when they’re rocking a new hair color?
Here’s why ash hair color is the perfect color for the fall, and how you can achieve it for yourself.
Why Ash For Fall?
The perfect thing about ash hair color is that it suits almost anyone.
The cool undertones can be adjusted to suit almost any skin tone and the general look that you want in your everyday life. The best thing about ash hair that it’s seriously having a moment in beauty circles. If you’re looking to update your look and hit a major trend at the same time, this is the way to do it.
How Are Celebrities Rocking The Trend?
The best way to see how ash hair should be done is to look at what the celebrities out there are doing. Here are just a few examples for you to check out before you start planning your own ash look:
- Taylor Swift: Taylor rocks her ash blond hair almost all the time, apart from her brief stint as a platinum blond. Worn in a bob, her hair looks effortlessly cool.
- Cara Delevigne: Cara’s gray yellow hues come through in her hair, complimenting her skin tone.
- Gigi Hadid: Gigi’s natural ash hair is spiced up with platinum blond streaks that show through and give her hair some edge.
- Elizabeth Olsen: Elizabeth’s ash hair is given a softer tone as it ombres into a warmer, toffee color towards the ends.
- Ciara: Ciara uses ash blond to highlight her normally black hair.
How To Incorporate Ash Tones Into Your Hair
As you can see, there are all kinds of ways you can incorporate the trend into your own locks. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- All over color: possibly the easiest way to sport the ash trend, especially if you’re dying your hair at home.
- Streaks: If you don’t want to commit to changing your hair color entirely, then this is the best way to incorporate the tone into your hair.
- Ombre: The ombre trend isn’t going away anytime soon, so use it to get the most out of your hair color choices.
How To Achieve Ash Blond Hair Yourself
This guide is going to run you through changing your color to ash blond. Remember, this is a guide only, and your hair may need slightly different treatment. Read the instructions on any products you use carefully, and get help from an expert if you’re not sure.
Step one: You’ll need to have your hair all at one shade, to ensure that the new color is consistent. If you have any regrowth, you’ll need to lift the roots so they match the rest of your hair.
Step two: Now you need to tone your hair. The best thing to do here will be to pick a toner that’s right for you and watch it carefully after you apply it. Some can lift color faster than you would think, so you want to be sure that you’re getting the color you want.
Step three: Rinse and shampoo time. Rinse the toner out well, and pick a purple toning shampoo or hair masque in order to avoid brassiness in your final color.
Step four: Rinse out the shampoo or masque and style as normal. You’ll have beautiful ashy blond hair that’ll look like you just stepped off the catwalk!
Looking After Ash Hair
As with all types of colored hair, you’ll need to take care of your new ash locks in order to keep them looking good. Here’s a few stylist approved tips to help you get the most out of your new look:
- Use a purple toned shampoo and conditioner: Purple toned shampoos and conditioners are designed to counteract brassy tones that can show up in blond hair colors. Pick a good shampoo and conditioner, and make sure you keep using them to keep the color cool and crisp.
- Do a deep condition once a week: It’s an essential to give any colored hair a deep conditioning treatment once a week. This will keep it looking healthy and strong, counteracting any damage from the dying process.
- Pick a good hairbrush: You need a hairbrush that can handle detangling your hair but won’t damage it further. Look into buying a good detangler brush. There’s a lot on the market, so read some reviews and pick one that looks good to you.
- Go heatless if you can: If you’ve bleached your hair to get it to the shade you want, you’re going to need to take care of it more. If you feel you can, it’s time to ditch the heated styling utensils. If you can’t ditch them entirely, try using them on alternate days, or maybe giving them a rest at the weekend. You’ll be amazed at the difference it can make.
Ash Hair And Your Style
If you’re thinking about going ash with your hair, you’ll need to know how to ensure your style complements it.
First of all, try going monochrome with your clothing choices. For example, shades of gray look amazing with ash hair. Try it out and pick shades that look good on you.
When it comes to makeup, consider picking a lipstick that gives you a real pop of color. A bright red, or even a matte pink or orange can look amazing next to your hair.
Finally, keep your hair looking polished. Again, you want to lay off the heated styling tools if you can, but spending a little time every day making your hair look its best will work wonders for your look.
And there you have it. Ash is the ‘in’ color this season, so why not try it for yourself?
You’ll love the effect it has on your style!